ELEMENTARY SCHOOL COUNSELLOR
High Energy, self directed and motived Counsellor required in the Surrey School District, at the elementary level. This growing city, with its ever changing demographics and dynamics has a vacancy for a qualified professional to work with our students.
Through quality teaching and learning, we commit to engaging our students in their growth as individuals and in their development of the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to contribute to a healthy, democratic and diverse society.
- 1. DESCRIPTION OF SCHOOL LEVEL DELIVERY MODEL
The Elementary Counsellor will:
- i) provide direct counselling to children and families;
- j) consult with school staff and parents;
- k) act as advocate for the children and their parents;
- l) participate as a member of the school-based team;
- m) provide direct instruction to students in areas such as peer helping, conflict resolution, social skills and life skills;
- n) provide support to other educators teaching Personal Planning and in promoting healthy school environments;
- o) act as liaison with community agencies and allied professionals;
- p) be knowledgeable about current procedures for reporting suicidal ideation concerns;
- q) be knowledgeable about current procedures for reporting Child Abuse and Neglect;
- r) be familiar with the Special Education Manual of Policies, Procedures and Guidelines.
- 2. MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE
- a) valid B. C. Teaching Certificate;
- c) two years’ satisfactory teaching experience;
- c) Master's degree in Counselling Psychology, equivalent to an M.A. or M.Ed Counselling Psychology from Simon Fraser University or University of British Columbia, including a practicum in a school setting equivalent to:
The practicum affords opportunities for the student counsellor to engage in direct counselling and counselling-related activities for a minimum of 120 hours, including at least 50 hours of direct client contact and l hour per week of direct supervision
- 3. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE
- previous counselling experience at the elementary school level.
- 4. REPORTING STRUCTURE
The personnel in this position are accountable in the execution of their assigned duties to
the principal of the school to which they are assigned.
Interested and qualified applicants can apply on https://bit.ly/3lUHJm9
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest in Surrey Schools.