Counsellor with SD69 Qualicum – 06/2022June 9, 2022
About School District 69 (Qualicum)
School District 69 (Qualicum) is centrally situated on east Vancouver Island and covers the area of Nanoose Bay to Bowser and spans from Errington across the Strait of Georgia to Lasqueti Island. We serve a student population of approximately 4700 students. School District 69 (Qualicum) consists of eight elementary schools (Grades K-7), two secondary schools (Grade 8-12), an alternate school (PASS/Woodwinds) and a Distributed Learning program to support home-learning families called the Collaborative Education Alternative Program (CEAP). False Bay School on Lasqueti Island is entirely off-grid with an immense solar project recently completed. School District 69 (Qualicum) also embraces many community organizations through various school programs. The area’s natural beauty, never-ending beaches, mild climate and small-town charm make it a popular tourist destination and a great opportunity to have a career in paradise.
Assignment: Area Counsellor (At this time, initial assignment will be at an elementary School)
The assignment may change due to the itinerant nature of the position, or to meet the needs of the school’s educational program, grade organization, and/or enrolment.
1.00 FTE CONTINUING
Commencing September 01, 2022.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Support school staff members in working with students who demonstrate educational, behavioural, social and/or emotional needs;
- Develop Individual Education Plans (IEPs) for designated Intensive Behaviour students and assist staff members in implementing and monitoring these plans;
- Provide social skills training to students as required;
- Work in consultation with Case Managers in the development and implementation of Individual Education Plans for students who require additional support;
- Serve as a member of the school’s Critical Incident Response Team and act as liaison to the district’s Critical Incident Response Team;
- Serve as a member of the School-based Team;
- Complete and submit monthly and year-end reports/summaries as required;
- Work collaboratively with parents, staff, administration, community groups, and outside agencies in support of students;
- Work within the established district and community agency referral processes;
- Attend monthly Learning Services staff meetings when appropriate;
- Attend monthly meetings of counsellors;
- Support the work of the school toward achievement of growth plan goals;
- Integrate use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to support teaching and learning, manage information, and carry-out professional communication.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A valid BC Teaching Certificate and familiarity with the BC curriculum at the elementary level;
- A Master’s Degree in Counselling;
- Experience meeting the diverse educational, behavioural, social, and emotional needs of students and their families;
- Experience developing and implementing effective strategies to assist teachers and parents in working with students who present with behaviour issues.
Please submit a complete application package clearly quoting job number to:
Please apply on Make a Future at https://bit.ly/3O6Gr5s.
Please note to submit your application to the actual job posting you must click onto the job posting, then click the “APPLY” button.
School District 69 (Qualicum)