Elementary Counsellor with Surrey Schools – 09/2022September 3, 2022
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL COUNSELLOR
Surrey Schools, recipient of the BC Top Employers and Canada’s Greenest Employer awards, is the largest school district in BC and the second largest employer in Surrey. Spread across one of the fastest-growing cities in British Columbia, Surrey Schools provides quality education to over 75,000 students with 124 schools sites and a variety of other learning facilities, offering a broad range of innovative programs and services to support the learning of our students. The Surrey School District team of approximately 12,000 employees works tirelessly every day to ensure that children are getting the best start they can, providing the preparation to be our leaders of tomorrow.
Surrey Schools is seeking a high energy, self directed and motived Counsellor at the elementary level. This growing city, with its ever changing demographics and dynamics has a vacancy for a qualified professional to work with our students.
Through quality teaching and learning, we commit to engaging our students in their growth as individuals and in their development of the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to contribute to a healthy, democratic and diverse society.
The Elementary Counsellor will:
- provide direct counselling to children and families;
- consult with school staff and parents;
- act as advocate for the children and their parents;
- participate as a member of the school-based team;
- provide direct instruction to students in areas such as peer helping, conflict resolution, social skills and life skills;
- provide support to other educators teaching Personal Planning and in promoting healthy school environments;
- act as liaison with community agencies and allied professionals;
- be knowledgeable about current procedures for reporting suicidal ideation concerns;
- be knowledgeable about current procedures for reporting Child Abuse and Neglect;
- be familiar with the Special Education Manual of Policies, Procedures and Guidelines.
MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE
- valid B. C. Teaching Certificate;
- two years’ satisfactory teaching experience;
- Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology, equivalent to an M.A. or M.Ed Counselling Psychology from Simon Fraser University or University of British Columbia, including a practicum in a school setting equivalent to:
|The practicum affords opportunities for the student counsellor to engage in direct counselling and counselling-related activities for a minimum of 120 hours, including at least 50 hours of direct client contact and l hour per week of direct supervision||Supervised Clinic
- previous counselling experience at the elementary school level.
The personnel in this position are accountable in the execution of their assigned duties to the principal of the school to which they are assigned.
Qualified applicants can apply by clicking here. This posting will remain open until filled.
Note: Faxed resumes will not be accepted. Successful applicants will be required to consent to a Criminal Records Search prior to employment. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. To all others, thank you for your interest.