POST-SECONDARY GUIDANCE COUNSELLOR and CAREER EDUCATION LEADER – 06/2022June 14, 2022
Southridge is a co-ed, independent day school located in South Surrey, BC with 680 students enrolled in Kindergarten through Grade 12. We have a tradition of developing well rounded students with a balance of knowledge and goodness, inspiring students to go out into the world and make a difference.
Southridge is affectionately described as ‘a lighthearted place of serious purpose’ and we want you to know…it’s true! If you’re passionate about working in an energizing environment with colleagues that value building strong relationships, fostering strong minds and good hearts through student-centered teaching and learning, and community all while having fun, we want to hear from you!
POST-SECONDARY GUIDANCE COUNSELLOR and CAREER EDUCATION LEADER, (FULL-TIME)
We are currently inviting applications for the full-time (1.0 FTE) position of Post-Secondary Guidance Counsellor and Career Education Leader position that will commence September 1, 2022.
Reporting to the Director of Post-Secondary Guidance and working as part of the school’s Student Support Services Department, the Post-Secondary Guidance Counsellor and Career Education Leader is responsible for helping students evaluate and realize educational and career options and goals while providing advice and support to students in all aspects of post-secondary planning.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide post-secondary guidance to assist students in identifying interests and possible career and program directions, and in finding and selecting options that are an appropriate match.
- Assist with the application process, resulting in admission to one or more of a student’s preferred post-secondary options.
- Emphasize and develop the ability of each student as a leader and primary decision-maker in the process of gaining post-secondary
- Develop and maintain a Career Education, Career Life Education and Career Life Connections Program spanning Grades 8 – 12.
- Develop and teach lessons/units/seminars relating to post-secondary education in CLE and CLC.
- Completion of a Bachelor of Education and/or appropriate professional qualifications for post-secondary and career counselling coupled with holding a valid BC teaching certificate, or Eligibility for teacher certification in BC independent schools.
- Training, experience and extensive current knowledge in counselling students applying to various post-secondary institutions in Canada, the US and the UK.
- Extensive current knowledge of Canadian, US and UK university admissions procedures and policies.
- Familiarity with independent school culture.
- Comfortable working with programs such as Naviance and school management programs such as Blackbaud.
- Effective professional interpersonal skills to establish connections, build trust and rapport with students and parents.
- Proven work ethic and a high level of integrity, initiative, energy and motivation.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, and effective presentation skills.
Southridge offers a competitive salary and pays 4% above the Vancouver School District. In addition, we have a comprehensive benefits package and a generous RRSP matching program.
To apply for this position, please visit our ‘How to Apply‘ page for step-by-step instructions on submitting an application through our online system. This posting will remain open until filled.
To learn more about our school, explore our website: southridge.bc.ca.
To view this posting, please visit Make a Future via https://bit.ly/3Hctchk
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.